Mostly Raw Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1 cup walnuts (not soaked)
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- 2 cups grated carrots, squeezed tightly through a nut milk bag to remove as much excess moisture as possible.
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Dash nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp pink salt (or more to taste)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 1+ hours
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (you could use agave instead or probably honey too)
- Few shakes of pink salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Water (reserve)
- Blend the dates and walnuts in a food processor till they are crumbly, but holding together.
- Add carrots and spices. (I pulsed the carrorts innmy food processor to save manually grating baby carrots. Lol) Process till the mix has taken the form of a smooth “dough.” It will take a minute or two.
- Add raisins and pulse or stir in to combine.
- Drain and rinse cashews, put in a food processor with maple syrup, salt and lemon. Process until the mixture is well combined. With the motor running, add just enough water as the motor is running to get the consistency you want. Keep checking. Tasting helps too. 😉
- Push the carrot cake dough into six muffin tins or ramekins, gently drop a heaping Tablespoon of icing to each and put in freezer for about two hours so they’ll set enough to be removed from the muffin tin while holding their shape.
- Serve and enjoy!
- These can be made a day ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
Tip – if you stretch the base to make 7 muffins you can set one aside to be sure of having a “leftover” while still having an even number to put out for guests. 😉
This is me doing that very thing and having a muffin for breakfast the next day. Lol. It filled me up for hours!