Part 1 – Marinated Red Beets
- 3 large Beets, thinly sliced on a mandoline. I prefer to not peel them but if they are not organic or the peel is very thick…use your discretion.
- Zest and juice from 1 Orange
- 1 teaspoon Cumin, a little extra wouldn’t hurt.
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper freshly ground
Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Toss well to ensure all the beet slices are coated on both sides. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Store leftovers in the fridge for a week.
Part 2 – Beet Greens & Roots
- 1/2 large Yellow Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic
- Leaves and Stems from the 3 Beets
- Avocado Oil for sautéing
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
Separate the Beets stems from the leaves. Chop the stems into small pieces, set them aside. Chop or slice the onions as you prefer them and add them to the pile of stems. Greens can be rough chopped, they will greatly shrink as they are cooked. Dice the garlic cloves.
Heat the oil to medium high, add the onions and beet stems, stirring to coat them in the oil and cook them evenly. As they start to soften, after 4-5 minutes, add the garlic gloves, stir for another 30 seconds then add the liquid smoke. Stir to combine then add the beet greens, stir again to combine and coat the greens, then turn of the heat and put a lid on so they are lightly steamed.
Spoon the sauteed mix onto a plate, add a few of the sliced beets on top. Drizzle with Balsamic Vinegar or if you like a sweeter taste use a Balsamic Fig Vinegar.